media room |
readings | jobs & funding | calls | conferences & workshops | youth | writers for hire
"...celebrating 25 years of contribution to the literary arts in Newfoundland & Labrador."
WHAT'S HAPPENING AT WANL
2013 Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards Winners AnnouncedCONGRATULATIONS to the winners of the 2013 Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards:
Joan Sullivan, for In the Field - Rogers Communications Award for Non-Fiction
Don McKay, for Paradoxides - EJ Pratt Poetry Award
The winners were announced on May 17 at the Atlantic Book Awards Gala held in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards were presented together with nine other regional awards. For a complete list of awards and winners, please visit http://www.atlanticbookawards.ca
Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union Fresh Fish Award for Emerging Writers (2013) - Call for SubmissionsThe Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL) in partnership with the Literary Arts Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador is calling for submissions to one of the country’s most lucrative literary awards for unpublished writers: the Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union Fresh Fish Award for Emerging Writers.
The Award, sponsored by the Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union, is intended to serve as an incentive for emerging writers in the province by providing them with financial support, recognition, and professional editing services for a book-length manuscript in any genre. The winning author will receive: a cash prize of $5,000; $1,000 towards professional editing services; and a miniature replica of “Man Nailed to a Fish” by sculptor Jim Maunder. The runners up will each receive $1,000.
Rules of eligibility
• Writers must be current members of WANL with a completed unpublished manuscript in any genre. Writers may join WANL at the time of submission.
• Writers must have lived in Newfoundland and Labrador for at least three of the previous five calendar years, in any combination of 36 of the last 60 months.
• Writers are permitted to submit only one entry per year, in any genre.
• Writers with a published book in any genre or a book accepted for publication at the time of submission are NOT eligible.
• The Fresh Fish Award will accept a manuscript that has been submitted once before. Entry forms for resubmitted manuscripts must identify the manuscript as such, and the year it was first entered must be indicated. Manuscripts submitted more than twice will not be accepted.
• Each manuscript must be typed, double-spaced, and submitted in triplicate. Handwritten manuscripts will NOT be accepted. (Poetry manuscripts do not have to comply with the double-space requirement.)
• Pages must be numbered and may be copied double-sided.
• Ensure that your name appears on the title page only.
• Entries that do not adhere to these guidelines will be disqualified.
Postmark deadline: June 14, 2013
Send submissions to:
Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
Haymarket Square, 208-223 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL A1C 6K1
Alternately, submissions may be delivered in person at the above address.
We regret that due to the volume of submissions we receive we will be unable to acknowledge receipt of entries or respond to ineligible entries. For more information, please contact the Writers’ Alliance at (709) 739-5215, toll-free at 1-866-739-5215, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
29 November 2012
Writers' Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
Promote Your Page Too
Send submissions and inquiries concerning the WANL e-bulletin and newsletter to email@example.com by Tuesday for inclusion in that Wednesday's bulletin.
The Writers' Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador gratefully acknowledges the financial support of|
the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, and the City of St. John's.